AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

ST BOTOLPH ALDGATE PAROCHIAL SCHOOL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-08
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: ST BOTOLPH ALDGATE PAROCHIAL SCHOOL
Date(s): 1729-1905
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 30 production units.
Name of creator(s): St Botolph Aldgate Parochial School
Sir John Cass Junior School

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The parish charity school of St Botolph Aldgate was often said to be the first Protestant charity school in England. Zachary Crofton (the minister of St Botolph during the Protectorate) founded a school on Little Tower Hill, East Smithfield circa 1665. This school was endowed by Sir Samuel Starling in 1673 and later amalgamated with the St Botolph Aldgate Parochial School which was established by subscription at an unknown date. St Botolph Aldgate Parochial School amalgamated with Billingsgate and Tower Wards School in 1905 to form the Sir John Cass Junior School.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the St Botolph Aldgate Parochial School, later the Sir John Cass Junior School. The surviving records of the parish school begin in 1729 (Ms 31138). These include minutes, accounts, reports, correspondence, admission registers and title deeds. Separate pupil records exist from 1896 only.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

CLC/215/MS31138 to MS31155.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archive was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Foundation in 1995 (apart from Ms 19627-8). The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING