AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION, BUCHAREST

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/349
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHURCH OF THE RESURRECTION, BUCHAREST
Date(s): 1862-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 11 production units.
Name of creator(s): Church of the Resurrection | Bucharest, Romania

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Bishop of London was held to exercise responsibility for Anglican churches overseas where no other bishop had been appointed. He retained responsibility for churches in northern and central Europe until 1980, but his jurisdiction in southern Europe ceased in 1842 on the creation of the diocese of Gibraltar. In 1980, the Bishop of London divested himself of all overseas jurisdiction and a new diocese of 'Gibraltar in Europe' was established.

In the 1880s the Anglican community in Bucharest began raising money to build a church. Construction began in 1913 on a site conveyed by the Commune of Bucharest. The church building was finished in 1914, but it was not consecrated until November 1922.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Church of the Resurrection, Bucharest, Romania, including registers of baptisms, marriages and burials; banns book; service registers; and financial accounts.

The register MS23634 refers to baptisms, marriages and burials in places outside Bucharest. It is possible the ceremonies recorded in the registers MS24118, MS24119 and MS24120 likewise took place outside Bucharest, although this is not clear from the volumes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of the church were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in 1987 and 1989. They were catalogued shortly after by members of Guildhall Library staff. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DL/E/A to DL/E/E for papers relating to the Diocese of London Overseas Jurisdiction; CLC/318 for the Diocese in Europe and CLC/319 for the Diocese of Gibraltar.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING