AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-07
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1902-1945
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 39 production units.
Name of creator(s): Sir John Cass's Foundation | Sir John Cass Technical Institute


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Charity Commissioners' Scheme of 1895 provided for a technical institute for the east of the City, to be managed by a committee of the Board of Governors of the Sir John Cass's Foundation and to be funded by the Foundation. Classes began in January 1902 and the Institute Building in Jewry Street (shared with the Cass School till 1908) was formally opened in June of that year. The building was extended in 1934.

Both day and evening classes were offered at the Institute; both full-time and part-time students could also become members of the Institute. Fees were reduced for ex-pupils of the Cass School. The Institute's name was changed in 1950 to Sir John Cass College, then in 1971 the College amalgamated with the City of London College and King Edward VII Nautical Institute to become the City of London Polytechnic and in 1990 the Polytechnic, with the London College of Furniture, became London Guildhall University. In 2002 this became London Metropolitan University.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Sir John Cass Technical Institute, managed by Sir John Cass's Foundation. The records are mostly ledgers and accounts, with some notes and plans.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

CLC/215/MS31125 to MS31137.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archive was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Foundation in 1995 (apart from Ms 19627-8). The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Minutes and other records are held by London Metropolitan University.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"