AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

BILLINGSGATE AND TOWER WARDS SCHOOLS

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-10
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: BILLINGSGATE AND TOWER WARDS SCHOOLS
Date(s): 1869-1905
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 6 production units.
Name of creator(s): Billingsgate and Tower Wards Schools

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Tower Ward School was founded by voluntary subscription in 1707 for girls and in 1709 for boys. In 1808 the school bought a house in Great Tower Street; 9 Black Raven Court was purchased in 1846 for use as a school house. In 1874 the school was united with the Billingsgate Ward School and both properties were subsequently sold.

Billingsgate Ward School was established by subscription in 1714 to educate and clothe boys and girls. From 1852 32 Botolph Lane was used as the schoolhouse and when the school united with Tower Ward School in 1874, this property continued to be used.

The united school merged with the combined Bridge, Candlewick and Dowgate Wards School in 1891 and this school combined with St Botolph Parochial School in 1905 to form the Sir John Cass Junior School.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Billingsgate and Tower Wards Schools. Tower Ward School records only survive from 1836. The records comprise attendance registers and log books, minutes, estate papers and accounts.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

CLC/215/MS31159 to MS31161.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were deposited in Guildhall Library with the records of the Cass Foundation in 1995, except for Mss 1452 and 21642 which were deposited in the Manuscripts Section in 1906. The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For the Billingsgate Ward School see also CLC/215-09, for Tower Ward School see also CLC/215-16 and CLC/227. For Billingsgate Ward see CLC/W/GB; for Tower Ward see CLC/W/NA.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING