AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

RED COAT SCHOOL

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/215-17
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: RED COAT SCHOOL
Date(s): 1776-1939
Level of description: Collection
View parent record
Extent: 15 production units.
Name of creator(s): Red Coat School | Stepney

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Red Coat School, Stepney, has had various names including Stepney Parish Day Schools, Stepney Church School and the Charity School in the Hamlet of Mile End Old Town. It was established in 1714 by voluntary subscription for the clothing and education of a limited number of boys born within Mile End Old Town. The school-house was built on Stepney Green (though the boys were separately housed in Mile End Road for some time). In 1944 the school merged with the secondary department of the Cass School to become the Sir John Cass's Foundation and Red Coat School in Stepney Way.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Red Coat School, Stepney. They include minutes, admission registers, log books, financial accounts and some other administrative records. The earliest records are admission registers from 1776 (Ms 31190).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

CLC/215/MS31189 to MS31195.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archive was deposited in Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section by the Foundation in 1995 (apart from Ms 19627-8). The records were catalogued by a member of the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Papers relating to the school can be found in the Toynbee Hall Warden's Files (ACC/2486) and in the papers of the parish of St Dunstan (P93/DUN/368-369).


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August to October 2010.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING