AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/095
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1862-1956
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 100 production units.
Name of creator(s): George Barber and Son Ltd | printers


Administrative/Biographical history:

George Barber was born in Deal, Kent. He set up business as a printer at the junction of Castle (later Furnival) Street and Cursitor Street, Holborn in 1861. Working originally as a legal printer, the business expanded to include general publishing, music publishing, lithography and advertising.

The firm first appears in London Directories in 1865 when its address is given as 16 Cursitor Street, Chancery Lane; from 1877 it is also given as 23 Castle Street which from 1886 becomes Furnival Street. From 1900 its address is given as 23, 24, 25 Furnival Street and 16, 17, 18 Cursitor Street. From c 1903-c 1921 it is referred to as the Furnival Press. In 1931-1932 an additional address at 19 Southampton Buildings, WC2 is given and in 1933-1934 15 and 17 Plough Court, Fetter Lane are shown. From 1936 23 Furnival Street is shown as the head office and in 1962 its address became 31 Furnival Street; in 1973 the firm moved to 61 Lilford Road, SE 5.

George Barber died in 1901 and his son Richard assumed control. In 1930 the firm changed its title to George Barber and Son.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of George Barber and Son Limited, printers, consisting of ledgers and cash books, as well as letterbooks. The records are held offsite, and therefore require 24 hours notice for access.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The archives were given to the Guildhall Library in 1960 by the Jewish Chronicle. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2010 to January 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"