AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

CHINESE ENGINEERING AND MINING COMPANY LIMITED

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/046
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: CHINESE ENGINEERING AND MINING COMPANY LIMITED
Date(s): 1900-1951
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 114 production units.
Name of creator(s): Chinese Engineering and Mining Co Ltd

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Chinese Engineering & Mining Company Limited was established in 1900 to mine coal for steamships in the area around Tientsin, China. The company was reformed in 1912 as a public company registered in London. Also in 1912 the Chinese Engineering and Mining Company and the Lanchow Mining Company Limited formed the Kailan Mining Administration to administer the coal mines. In the 1920s the Company was producing c 4.5 million tons of coal annually, some of which was exported to Hong Kong, Japan and other places in the Far East. All its activities ceased in 1949 with the Chinese Civil War, and the subsequent Communist takeover. The company was finally dissolved in 1984. The offices of the company were 22 Austin Friars, except for the war years when business was conducted from the residence of the Secretary, 5/6 Clarendon Terrace, King's Cliff, Brighton.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Chinese Engineering and Mining Company Limited, comprising minutes of the board of directors; cash books; share ledgers; mining ledgers and shipping ledgers.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Purchased by the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library in December 1991. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
November 2010 to January 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING