AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0539
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1480-1824
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.15 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Various.


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Manor of West Drayton was owned by Saint Paul's Cathedral from around 1000. It was leased out or farmed for the common benefit of the canons. Henry VIII acquired the manor in 1546 and granted it to Sir William Paget (1506-1568). It remained in the Paget family until 1786 when Henry Paget, the first Earl of Uxbridge (1744-1812) sold it to Fysh Coppinger, a London merchant. Coppinger assumed his wife's surname of de Burgh and the manor stayed in the de Burgh family until 1939.

Information from: 'Hillingdon, including Uxbridge: Manors and other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 4: Harmondsworth, Hayes, Norwood with Southall, Hillingdon with Uxbridge, Ickenham, Northolt, Perivale, Ruislip, Edgware, Harrow with Pinner (1971), pp. 69-75 (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers relating to West Drayton, including original presentments of the Customs of the Manor; survey of West Drayton field; records relating to property ownership including extracts from court rolls, fines, bonds, and agreements; letters; legal papers including Chancery proceedings against the Earl of Uxbridge; and papers relating to enclosure in West Drayton.

Papers relating to property in Hillingdon, Harlington and Cranford, comprising bond, articles of agreement, extracts from court rolls, assignments and indentures of fines.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

ACC/0539-1: Harlington and Cranford;
ACC/0539-2: Hillingdon;
ACC/0539-3: West Drayton Enclosure.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

The papers were collected by W G Haynes of Stanmore.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in August 1954.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For more papers relating to the Paget family and the Earl of Uxbridge, see ACC/0446.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"