AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

SHEPPARDS AND CHASE

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/198
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: SHEPPARDS AND CHASE
Date(s): [1818?]-1935
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 63 production units.
Name of creator(s): Sheppards and Chase | stockbrokers

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

This firm of stockbrokers had its origin in the partnership established in 1827 between James Sheppard (1787-1855) and Charles Folger Starbuck (d 1841). The successors to this partnership subsequently merged with Scott and Company (1888), Price and Pott (1906), Harris and Company (1920) and Chase, Henderson and Tennant (1967).

The firm has traded under the following names:
- Sheppard and Starbuck, 1827-1846;
- Sheppard and Son, 1846-1853;
- Sheppard and Sons, 1853-1860;
- Sheppard, Pelly and Allcard, 1860-1888;
- Sheppards, Pellys, Scott and Company, 1888-1905;
- Sheppards, Pellys and Company, 1905-1906;
- Sheppards, Pelly, Price and Pott, 1906-1920;
- Sheppards and Company, 1920-1967;
- Sheppards and Chase, 1967-

The firm has traded at the following addresses: 3 Spread Eagle Court, Finch Lane, 1827-49; 28 Threadneedle Street, 1849-1888; 57 Old Broad Street, 1888-1920; Gresham House, Old Broad Street, 1920-1964; Clement House, Gresham Street, 1964.

Also deposited with the records of Sheppards and Chase and its predecessors were the records of several other stockbroking firms: Price and Pott; Scott, Corthorn and Scott; Cannon, Pelly and Allcard; George Davidge, and John H. Davidge. Some of these firms later merged with Sheppards and Chase; some had one or more of the partner(s) later join it; and some are of doubtful or unknown association.

The partnership of Hall Rokeby Price and Henry Pott was established in about 1852. Price and Pott merged with Sheppards, Pellys and Company in 1906. The firm had premises at 7 Pope's Head Alley (c 1852-5); 3 Abchurch Lane (c 1855-65); 1 Cowper's Court, Cornhill (c 1865-1903) and 2 White Lion Court, Cornhill (from 1903).

The firm of Scott, Corthorn and Scott appears in trade directories from around 1831. It had premises at 26 Change Alley (to c 1841); 16 Throgmorton Street (from c 1846) and 3 Drapers' Gardens (from 1883). W A W Scott, formerly of Scott, Corthorn and Scott, was the founder of Scott and Co, which merged with Sheppard, Pelly and Allcard in 1888.

The partnership of Stephen Cannon, Percy Leonard Pelly and Edward Allcard was formed in 1858 with premises at 26 Tokenhouse Yard. Pelly and Allcard became partners in Sheppards and Sons in 1860.

George Davidge and John H. Davidge were stockbrokers of 13 Finch Lane; their connection with Sheppards and Chase is unknown.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Sheppards and Chase, stockbrokers, comprising clients' ledgers 1851-1864 and 1893-1907; stock transaction records 1845-1935 and private ledgers 1854-95.

The records of Price and Pott comprise accounts 1869-84 and a clients' ledger 1850-1854.

Two volumes of accounts 1834-1847 and 1859-1874 have been attributed to the firm of Scott, Corthorn and Scott by internal evidence.

The records of Cannon, Pelly and Allcard and its predecessors comprise a list of principals ca. 1848-58 and client ledgers 1845-9, 1851-60.

The records of George Davidge and John H. Davidge comprise client lists ca. 1818-54.

24 HOURS NOTICE IS REQUIRED FOR ACCESS TO THESE RECORDS

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records have been catalogued by type, rather than by creating organisation, and therefore the records of different firms are mixed together.

Conditions governing access:

Access by appointment only. Please contact staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records of Sheppards and Chase and its predecessors were deposited in the Manuscripts Section of Guildhall Library by the firm in 1979. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

A more detailed history of the firm is given in Stockbrokers for 150 years. A history of Sheppards and Chase 1827-1977 by Elizabeth Hennessy (London, 1978).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING