AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4564
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1933-2001
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.4 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): St James's United Reform Church | Edgware


Administrative/Biographical history:

Saint James's United Reformed Church, Heather Walk, Edgware was founded in 1933 and was originally a member of the Presbyterian Church of England. Services were initially held on the site of Camford School, Hale Lane. Saint James's church hall was opened on 29th April 1933. After five years, the church hall reached full capacity in May 1938, however plans drawn up for an extension of the premises were put on hold due to the outbreak of the Second World War. Plans were then put forward again in 1948 for the addition of the transept and new church hall and eventual extension of the vestry block, completed in two phases. The foundation stone of new hall was laid on February 25th 1950 with the extension completed in October 1953. The church was united with Watling Church, Eversfield Gardens and Union Church, Mill Hill Broadway to become Trinity United Reformed Church in 2001 and all three worshipped together at Eversfield Gardens from May 2005.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Saint James's United Reformed Church, Heather Walk, Edgware. The collection includes minutes of the court of session 1933-1972, elders meetings 1972-2000, committee of management 1933-2001, church meetings 1972-2001 and youth and teachers meetings 1933-1952; baptism register 1933-2001, marriage registers 1948 to 1975 and communicant rolls 1933-1998, appointed persons certificates 1946-1987 and records relating to appointment and ministry of Reverend Geoffrey Holland Williams MA; correspondence, plans and sound recordings relating to new church hall 1950, correspondence, plans and specifications relating to extension of vestry block 1953, correspondence and statements relating to purchase, sale and letting of manse 1986-2000; collection books 1933-1987 and account sheets 1949-1993; annual reports 1933-1949, yearbooks 1951-2001, newsletters 1935-1962, fellowship of youth newsletters 1950-1964 and church magazines 1963-2000; silver jubilee celebratory booklet 1958 and various orders of service commemorating significant milestones within the church's history.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Records relating to administration LMA/4564/A, registers LMA/4564/B, church personnel LMA/4564/C, church property LMA/4564/D, finance LMA/4564/E and printed papers LMA/4564/F.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Arrived in three deposits: 2005, 2006, and 2007.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"