AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

FLOWER, Sir Charles (fl 1820)

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0460
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: FLOWER, Sir Charles (fl 1820)
Date(s): 1705-1820
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.66 linear metres (117 documents).
Name of creator(s): Various.


Administrative/Biographical history:

An estate in Mill Hill known as Belmont Farm was acquired by Peter Hammond between 1768 and 1792. He left the estate to his daughter, wife of Somerset Davies. Davies coveyed 83 acres to Robert Anderson in 1801, but when Anderson went bankrupt in 1803 the estate was bought by Captain Robert Williams. He conveyed the estate to David Prior in 1812. Prior's widow sold the estate to Sir Charles Flower in 1820. Flower was a mill owner and had been Lord Mayor of London. He purchased more land from Robert Finch and Michael Coomes in 1821 and 1826, so that by 1828 his estate comprised 441 acres and stretched from the Hale to the Totteridge boundary, including Lawrence Street, Uphill and Bittacy farms. Flower left the estate to his son James, who died in 1850. By 1889 the estate had been split up.

From: 'Hendon: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), pp. 21-23 (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers relating to the Belmont Farm estate in Mill Hill, including deeds and other property ownership documents from various owners of the estate: Peter Hammond, his son-in-law Somerset Davies, and Sir Charles Flower. Also papers relating to Sir Charles Flower's expansion of the estates.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The documents have been arranged in 9 series according to property.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in April 1952.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"