AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 LMA/4544
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1934-1983
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.74 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Tower Hill Improvement Fund x Tower Hill Improvement Trust x Tower Hill Trust


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Tower Hill Improvement Fund was set up in 1934 to improve the area around Tower Hill. A major influence in the foundation of the Fund was Rev P B ("Tubby") Clayton who, together with Dr B R Leftwich published Pageant of Tower Hill which advocated the removal of certain unsightly buildings from the area. The first president of the Fund was Viscount Wakefield of Hythe. The inaugural meeting of the Fund was held in December 1933 and an office was opened at 29/30 Trinity Square in January 1934. In 1937 the Fund was refounded as a charitable trust and was renamed the Tower Hill Improvement Trust.

The Trust demolished various buildings to make way for gardens and open public spaces. It also established a beach at Tower Hill (opened July 1934; closed 1971). The Trust is now known as the Tower Hill Trust.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Tower Hill Improvement Trust, including minutes, accounts, correspondence, plans and photographs. The archive includes records of other organisations (Choral Foundation Appeal, St Katharine's Community Project, Port of London Authority) which may have become part of the Trust's archive because the Secretary or another official of the Trust also had an active role in other organisations.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records are arranged as follows: LMA/4544/01 Foundation of the Trust and Constitution;
LMA/4544/02 Minutes;
LMA/4544/03 Progress Reports;
LMA/4544/04 Finance;
LMA/4544/05 Administration;
LMA/4544/06 Tower Hill Improvement;
LMA/4544/07 Trustees;
LMA/4544/08 Wakefield Trust;
LMA/4544/09 Choral Foundation Appeal;
LMA/4544/10 Thames Barrier Scheme;
LMA/4544/11 St Katharine's Community Project;
LMA/4544/12 Port of London Authority Files.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records received in two deposits, in 1984 and 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"