AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/0453
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1761-1939
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.8 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Various.


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Manor of Little Stanmore, also known as Canons, was sold to James Brydges in 1709. Brydges later became Lord Chandos, and in 1719 was made Duke of Chandos. However, Henry, Duke of Chandos, was forced to sell the manor and house in 1746, to pay off heavy debts. James Brydges also acquired the Manor of Great Stanmore which remained in the Chandos family until 1840.

Warren House, situated on Wood Lane, and its estates were originally part of the Manor of Great Stanmore and were leased out by the Chandos family. It was later owned by James Forbes of the East India Company. Forbes sold it in 1813, and by 1827 it was the property of the architect Sir Robert Smirke who also held 23 acres in Great Stanmore and 108 acres in Little Stanmore. It was then owned by Charles Keyser, banker Henry Bischoffsheim, and his grandson Major General Sir John Fitzgerald. In 1937 Fitzgerald sold 123 acres of land to Harrow Urban District Council as part of the Green Belt; and then in 1951 sold the house with 11 acres of land to the National Corporation for the Care of Old People.

Source: A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 5: Hendon, Kingsbury, Great Stanmore, Little Stanmore, Edmonton Enfield, Monken Hadley, South Mimms, Tottenham (1976), available online.


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers relating to the Warren House estate in Great Stanmore, including deeds, covenants, leases, assignments, conveyances, extracts from wills, grants and agreements.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

ACC/0453/001 to ACC/0453/010.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in March 1952.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"