AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

NOMURA INTERNATIONAL PLC

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 CLC/B/169
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: NOMURA INTERNATIONAL PLC
Date(s): 1608-1986
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 91 production units.
Name of creator(s): Various.

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The site of no.1 St Martin le Grand was purchased by Nomura International Plc from the General Post Office in 1986. It had been the main General Post Office building for the City of London. The site was previously owned by Christ's Hospital, which sold it in various lots to the General Post Office in the 19th century (the main site was sold in the late 1880s). The site included the Queen's Hotel (formerly known as the Bull and Mouth Inn), the former Angel Inn, and houses in Bull and Mouth Street and Magpie Court.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Collection of deeds and papers relating to the site of Nomura House, no.1 St Martin le Grand (the former General Post Office building). The Library does not hold any records relating to the Nomura's operation as a Japanese bank; the only records held relate to the site of Nomura House.

The collection also includes deeds which do not appear to relate to the site of no.1 St Martin le Grand, although they may have been acquired by the Postmaster General.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records arranged by MS number, assigned during cataloguing at the Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were kindly donated to Guildhall Library in 2006 by Nomura International Plc. They were catalogued by a member of Guildhall Library staff in 2008. The Guildhall Library Manuscripts Section merged with the London Metropolitan Archives in 2009.

Allied Materials

Related material:

The following deeds have not been donated to Guildhall Library and are still held at Nomura House: lease by Henry VIII to Thomas Soulment of a large property within the precinct of the late dissolved house of Grey Friars, 1539; lease from John Stewkeley of the ground on which Northumberland House once stood, 1667; lease from Christ's Hospital of premises in Bull and Mouth, 1848; and lease from Christ's Hospital of land abutting east on Aldersgate Street between the city wall and St Botolph Aldersgate churchyard, 1563.


Publication note:

For an account of these records, see Vanessa Harding, Nomura House, no.1 St Martin's le Grand: a brief history (1990), available in the Printed Books Section of Guildhall Library.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
January to May 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING