AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1028
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1763-1886
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.80 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Wetherall | family | of Ealing


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Castlebar Estate in Ealing was established in 1423 by Richard Barenger. In 1650 it was purchased by Sir William Bateman, who held other land in Ealing, and left to his descendants. William Bateman (d 1797) and his children William (d 1820) and Mary (d 1833) were all lunatics and the estate was disputed among Mary's heirs. The estate was bought by Francis Swinden in 1854.

General Sir Frederick Augustus Wetherall (1754-1842) became tenant of the Batemans' and in 1817 bought the lease of Castlebar House, purchasing the freehold in 1824. By 1840 Wetherall held 47 acres of freehold, copyhold and leasehold land in the Castle Hill area. Castlebar House was owned by a Mr Bartholomew in 1897, when it was bought as a Benedictine monastery. It was used as a girls' school.

Another estate in this area, Castle Hill Lodge, was created in 1764 by John Scott, who combined various parcels of land to form an estate of 27 acres. The estate was purchased by Francis Burdett in 1773. In 1791 Henry Beaufoy purchased the house and made some improvements. It was sold in 1795 to Maria FitzHerbert, the morganatic wife of the Prince of Wales. She sold it in 1801 to the Duke of Kent, Edward Augustus, who gave it the name Castle Hill Lodge and commissioned further improvements. In 1829 the estate was purchased by General Sir Frederick Augustus Wetherall, the duke's aide-de-camp.

The estate remained in the Wetherall family, although it was leased out as Kent House, until 1870 when the house was sold to Thomas Harrison, and the land to Alfred Prest, Ebenezer Pearce and Charles Jones. Some of the land was later sold to the British Land Company.

The Lodge was a two storey property in a Grecian style with a portico beneath a pediment. Some of the fittings were sold in 1820 and 1827; but a new house was built by 1845, which became St David's Home in 1918.

From: 'Ealing and Brentford: Other estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 7: Acton, Chiswick, Ealing and Brentford, West Twyford, Willesden (1982), pp. 128-131 (available online).


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Wetherall family relating to their Castlebar and Castle Hill estates in Ealing, including leases, conveyances, abstracts of title, agreements, plans of the estate, and papers relating to a Chancery case regarding part of the estate.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

ACC/1028/001 to 120.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in September 1968.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See ACC/0828 for records relating to the Bateman family estates in Ealing.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"