AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 M/95/BEC
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1394-1888
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.76 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Manor of Tooting Bec


Administrative/Biographical history:

Tooting Bec Manor originally comprised two estates, Tooting and Streatham. They were united when both came to Richard de Tonbridge, Lord of Clare. In 1086 he granted some of the manorial lands to the abbey of Bec Hellouin in Normandy, and a Priory of Tooting Bec was established. The manor was held by the Tonbridge family until 1349, and then passed to Margaret wife of Hugh Audley. In 1436 the manor was held by her great-great-grandson Humphrey Earl of Stafford. By 1521 the manor was held by the Crown. It was sold to John Dudley, Earl of Warwick, who sold it on. The manor passed through various families until 1873 when all the estates were enfranchised and acquired by the Metropolitan Board of Works, and then the London County Council in 1889.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Tooting Bec Manor, including views of frankpledge; court baron proceedings; and volumes of extracts from the court rolls.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Note: Each roll has been given a serial number (M95/BEC/001) which is followed by the number of the membrane (M95/BEC/001/1) and the face and dorse of each membrane are distinguished by the letters `a' and `b'. The dates and styles of the Courts are entered in the order and form in which they appear upon the rolls. The provenance and arrangement of the rolls has been fully discussed in the Introduction to Court Rolls of Tooting Beck Manor Vol.I (published by L.C.C. in 1909), a copy of which is available to students in the History Library.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in the 1950s.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"