AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 ACC/1045
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1550-1797
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.45 linear metres (181 documents).
Name of creator(s): Gibson | family | of Pinner


Administrative/Biographical history:

John Gibson senior was until about 1720 a jeweller in Bow Street. In 1718 he inherited property at Bury Pond Hill in Pinner from an aunt, Elizabeth Darden (ACC/351/1032), and in 1720 his wife inherited Islips Manor Farm in Northolt, and property at Pinner Hill. She was Dorcas, only daughter and heiress of William Shower, and, through him, of her uncle, Sir Bartholemew Shower, recorder of London, who died in 1701 (ACC/1045/123-128). These properties had been purchased by Sir Bartholomew in 1695 and 1698 from the Clitherowe and Hawtrey families respectively.

John Gibson settled at Pinner, where he bought further properties, notably from Randall Page junior in 1721 (ACC/1045/103), and remained there till his death in 1745. After her husband's death Dorcas Gibson returned to London, settling in Stepney, and her younger sons, William and Bartholomew, became a haberdasher and grocer respectively in the City (ACC/1045/129-134). The eldest son and heir, John, was educated at Balliol and entered the church, becoming Vicar of Heston in 1750 and Bedfont in 1761. There is a complete set of official documents concerning his clerical career from letters of orders on his ordination as Deacon in 1740 to the certificate of his reading in as Vicar of Bedfont in 1761 (ACC/1045/154-176). He died in 1777.

The Gibson family were closely connected with the Stanton Family of Limehouse. Seth Gibson and Thomas Stanton became partners in the wholesale silk trade in 1706 (ACC/1045/141) and the association survived the removal of John Gibson to Pinner. The collection includes a group of personal and business papers of Richard Stanton and his brother Thomas Stanton junior who died in 1714. Besides articles of partnership, there are household and general accounts, 1706-1764 (ACC/1045/144-147), including rent accounts for properties in Rupert Street.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Gibson family, mostly relating to their property and estates, including:

ACC/1045/1-10: Pinner Wood, Shower family property, 1550-1717;
ACC/1045/11-21: Northolt, Islips Manor Farm, Shower family property, 1685-1755;
ACC/1045/22-23: Pinner, Barrowpoint or Berry Pond Hill, 1734;
ACC/1045/24-25: Pinner Street, cottage, 1691;
ACC/1045/26-48: Pinner, Brickwall House, 1664-1762;
ACC/1045/49-105: Pinner, Page family properties, 1664-1723;
ACC/1045/106-111: Pinner, Edlin family properties, 1692-1724.
ACC/1045/112-113: Hendon, Bunns Farm, 1733-1739;
ACC/1045/114: Heston, Upper Grove Meadow, 1750;
ACC/1045/116-117: St. James Westminster, Rupert St., 1736-1743;
ACC/1045/118: St. Paul Covent Garden, Bow St., 1683;
ACC/1045/119-121: Kent, Darenth, 1636-1653;
ACC/1045/122: Kent, West Malling, 1701;
ACC/1045/123-136: Shower and Gibson family wills and settlements, 1701-1797;
ACC/1045/137-140: Stanton family wills and settlements, 1713-1739;
ACC/1045/141-143: Articles of partnership, 1706-1758;
ACC/1045/144-148: Accounts, 1710-1747;
ACC/1045/149-153: Papers of Richard Stanton, 1718-1748;
ACC/1045/154-178: Papers of the Revd. John Gibson, 1740-1762;
ACC/1045/179-181: Miscellaneous items, 1677-1744.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

See listing in the Scope and Content section.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Gifted to the Archive in February 1969.

Allied Materials

Related material:

The Gibson family records are a valuable addition to the group of collections in the Record Office concerning the Pinner area. In particular, there are deeds of the property at Bury Pond Hill inherited by John Gibson in 1718 among the Allen-Cooper family records (ACC/351). Papers concerning Pinner Wood, 1644-1648, are in the Northwick collection (ACC/76/409-411).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"