AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

PARIS GARDEN MANOR, SOUTHWARK

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 M/92
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: PARIS GARDEN MANOR, SOUTHWARK
Date(s): 1580-1936
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 4.26 linear metres.
Name of creator(s): Manor of Paris Garden | Southwark

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The manor of Paris Garden covered almost the same territory as the parish of Christ Church, Southwark, a little less than 100 acres. The whole area is below high-water level and was prone to flooding. Consequently it was not built-up until after 1809 when new sewers were constructed. The land belonged to the Knights Templars from around 1113. After that order was supressed the manor was granted to the Knights Hospitallers, who leased it out. The first use of the name "Parish Garden" (later Paris Garden) to describe the estate was made in 1420.

In 1536 the Hospitallers surrendered the land to Henry VIII. It was held by the Crown until 1578 when it was granted to Henry Cary, Lord Hunsdon. Two years later he demised the demesne lands to one owner and the copyhold lands to another; thenceforward they have separate histories. The copyholder's lease was converted into a fee simple in 1881, but the manorial rights were not abolished until 1936. The manor was bought by William Angell in 1655, and was sold by him to George Baron. The Baron family held the manor until 1827, when Elizabeth Ann Baron married John Lethbridge, it then passed into the Lethbridge family, who still held it in the 1950s.

For a more detailed history see 'Paris Garden Manor', Survey of London: volume 22: Bankside (the parishes of St. Saviour and Christchurch Southwark) (1950), pp. 94-100 (available online).

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Paris Garden Manor, Southwark, including title deeds such as morgages, leases, and releases; probates, wills and letters of administration; courts leet and courts baron books; court minute books; licence books; lists of copyholders; papers relating to tenants; and map of the manor.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

M/92/001-057: Property records; M/92/058-099: Court records; M/92/100-138: Tenancy records.

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Records deposited in 1946, 1947, 1951 and 1952.

Allied Materials

Related material:

For other records relating to the Manor of Paris Garden see E/LET/01.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING