AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 E/MW
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1381-1937
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 48.24 linear metres (2235 documents).
Name of creator(s): Wilson | Maryon- | family | of Charlton, Hampstead and Essex x Maryon-Wilson | family


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Manor of Hampstead was sold in 1707 to Sir William Langhorne of Charlton, Kent, an East India merchant. The manor passed to his nephew William Langhorne Games, with 14 remainders. On Games's death in 1732 the manor passed to the 14th tenant in tail, Margaret, widow of Joseph Maryon and a Langhorne descendant. Her son John Maryon (died 1760) left the manor to his niece Margaretta Maria Weller (died 1777) and her daughter Jane, widow of General Sir Thomas Spencer Wilson. Their son Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson (died 1821) left the manor to his son, also Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson, who died childless in 1869. The manor passed to his brother Sir John Maryon Wilson, and then to John's son Sir Spencer Maryon Wilson (died 1897), and to his son Sir Spencer Pocklington Maryon Maryon-Wilson, who died in 1944. By this time the manorial rights had lapsed. The lands were inherited by Sir Spencer's brother, Canon Sir George Percy Maryon-Wilson. In 1978 the baronetcy became extinct on the death of their cousin Sir Hubert Guy Maryon Maryon-Wilson, and the estate passed to Sir Spencer's grandson Shane Hugh Maryon Gough.

From: 'Hampstead: Manor and Other Estates', A History of the County of Middlesex: Volume 9: Hampstead, Paddington (1989), pp. 91-111 (available online).

The Manor of Charlton was sold to the Langhorne family some time after 1659. It subsequently followed the same succession as the Manor of Hampstead, belonging to the Games family, then the Maryons and Maryon-Wilsons.

From: 'Blackheath and Charlton', Old and New London: Volume 6 (1878), pp. 224-236 (available online).

The Fitzjohns Estate in Essex was sold by Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson in 1900.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Maryon-Wilson family relating to their estates and property holdings. Papers relating to the Manor of Charlton include rentals, correspondence, agreements, court rolls, deeds, leases, legal papers, papers relating to the Woolwich ferry and the Thames Steam Boat Company, plans of the estate, tithes and papers relating to the Charlton churches of St Luke, St Thomas and St Paul, photographs of Charlton House, and papers relating to the Blackheath regiment.

Papers relating to the Manor of Hampstead include court rolls and minutes, admissions and enfranchisements, licence books, plans and surveys, leases, papers relating to the Hampstead Heath Act, and family papers.

The collection includes a small number of documents relating to the family estates in Sussex and Essex.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

This collection is divided into three main groups:
- Out-county Estates: Sussex and Essex Estates (Ref. E/MW),
- Charlton Manor (Ref. E/MW/C),
- Hampstead Manor (Ref. E/MW/H).

Conditions governing access:

Available for general access.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright to this collection rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Maryon-Wilson estate records previously in the custody of Messrs May, May and Deacon of 49 Lincolns Inn Fields were deposited in the London County Record Office by Sir Percy Maryon-Wilson in 1962 (Ac 62.36). A further document was gifted to the Archive in 1999.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Most of the records relating to the Maryon-Wilson property in Essex formerly kept at the Charlton Estate Office were deposited in the Essex Record Office in 1952. Family papers, including correspondence 1578-1780 and papers relating to Sussex elections, have been deposited in the British Library (ref. Add Mss 49605-49608). Many books and manuscripts formerly part of the Library at Charlton House appear to have been dispersed, when the contents of Charlton House were sold in 1920 (see E/MW/C/1818). Selected books and documents were taken by Sotheby's in December 1919. The remainder of the library was included in the sale by Stevens in February 1920. Other records relating to the Searles Estate, Fletching, Sussex, formerly in the custody of May, May and Deacon have been deposited in the East Sussex Record Office.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Records prepared May to September 2011.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"