AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Walthamstow School of Art

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 2381 WSA
Held at: University of East London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Walthamstow School of Art
Date(s): 1902-1908
Level of description: Fonds (collection)
Extent: 2 volumes
Name of creator(s): Walthamstow School of Art


Administrative/Biographical history:

A school of art was founded in 1883 by the Walthamstow Literary Institute in Trinity schoolroom, West Avenue, which was united to the Science and Art Department, South Kensington. In 1892 it moved to Grosvenor House, Hoe Street, then on to Court House, Hoe Street, in 1900. It was taken over by Walthamstow Higher Education Committee in 1906 but was closed in 1915.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Walthamstow School of Art, 1902-1908, comprising:

Manuscript minutes of the Walthamstow Higher Education Committee, November 1902-July 1906; manuscript reports of the Headmaster of the School of Art, including press cuttings, lists of prize winners and notices of exhibitions, 1906-1908.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access:

Access is by appointment only, please contact the Archives Department, University of East London, for information. See: www.uel/lls/archives

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies, subject to copyright and the condition of the original, may be supplied. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the archivist.

Finding aids:

No additional finding aids

Archival Information

Archival history:

It is unclear how the material came to be in the institutional collection of the University of East London. However the Art School appears to have shared premises with Walthamstow Technical Institute which went on to become South West Essex Technical College, which later merged with other institutions to form North East London Polytechnic, later University of East London.

Before its move to the Docklands Campus, the uncatalogued and unsorted institutional archive was housed in UEL's Barking Campus and an external store. When the Barking Campus closed in 2006, the material which was held onsite was transferred, however the external store material was not and as a consequence is lost.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred from the library and UEL's Barking Campus in 2006.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Source: 'A History of the County of Essex: Volume 6', Victoria County History, 1973. Description by Caroline Lam.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
April 2012

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"