AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): DRO/173
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1881-1991
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 2.59 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Parish of St Paul, Finchley | Church of England


Administrative/Biographical history:

In the early 1880s, the vicar of Saint Mary-at-Finchley set up a new parish of Saint Paul. A site was found at Long Lane, Finchley, Barnet. The money for construction was raised by subscription and the new church was dedicated on 27 March 1886 by the Right Reverend Frederick Temple (1821-1902), Bishop of London and later Archbishop of Canterbury. The first vicar was the Reverend Samuel Mayall, the curate of St Mary-at-Finchley until 1927. During his period as incumbent, a hall and Sunday School buildings were built next to the church.

In 1978-80, the original hall and Sunday School buildings were demolished for the construction of flats and the money received was used to re-order the church. In 1985, the parish merged with Saint Luke, Finchley becoming Saint Paul with Saint Luke and in January 2006, the sale of St Luke's church hall was completed. The money from the sale paid for the building of the Saint Paul's Centre which was dedicated on 5 October 2008 by the Right Reverend Richard Chartres, Bishop of London.

Source of information:


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the parish of Saint Paul, Finchley, Barnet. This collection includes parish registers of baptisms, marriages, banns of marriage and confirmation (1886-1991), registers of church services (1886-1989), Parochial Church Council minutes, other committee minutes, annual reports, electoral roll, faculties relating to the maintenance of the church, financial accounts, administrative files, parish societies including Sunday School and Finchley Community Work.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The material is arranged according to the functions and structure of the parish:
A: Parish Registers;
B: Church Services/Work of Clergy;
C: Church Personnel;
D: Parish Boundaries;
E: Church Buildings;
G: Parish Administration;
H: Parish Finance;
I: Parish Societies/Clubs.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited September 2006 and September 2010.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Saint Luke Finchley (DRO/172) and Saint Mary Finchley (DRO/032).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Added to AIM25 April 2012.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"