AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

OAKLANDS CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND ASKEW ROAD METHODIST CHURCH

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DD/0713
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: OAKLANDS CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH AND ASKEW ROAD METHODIST CHURCH
Date(s): 1856-1987
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 1.3 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Askew Road Church (Methodist and United Reformed) Oaklands Congregational Church xx Oaklands United Congregational Church Askew Road Methodist Church xx Sir William MacArthur Memorial Chapel Hammersmith xx Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

Oaklands Congregational Church was originally known as Oaklands United Congregational Church and was based at Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush. The church was initially a Union Church of Baptists and Congregationalists, including some from Becklow Road Mission. A meeting was held in July 1856 at Oaklands at which it was decided to erect a United Church. The church was formed on 1 January 1858. In 1868 the Baptist members left to establish a new church in Avenue Road. Ten years later in 1878 another group left the original church and began to hold services at Coningham Road School where they were known as Coningham Road Free Church. They opened an iron chapel in Askew Road in September 1885 and renamed themselves Starch Green Congregational Church.

Oaklands United Congregational Church closed and was sold on 30 April 1890 to Starch Green Congregational Church. The Starch Green congregation made alterations to the building and reopened it on 21 September 1890 as Oaklands Congregational Church. The iron chapel in Askew Road remained a mission hall.

The church was renovated during 1903 and again in 1920. The church closed in March 1972 and merged with Askew Road Methodist Church to form Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed). The Uxbridge Road building became derelict and was demolished in March and April 1980.

Askew Road Methodist Church Askew Road was formerly known as Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel then Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel Hammersmith. Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel was opened in September 1866. It was rebuilt on the same site in 1890 when it was named the Sir William McArthur Memorial Chapel as a tribute to the one-time Lord Mayor of London Member of Parliament and Connexional Treasurer. However the chapel was still known locally as the Bassein Park Wesleyan Chapel and in 1897 it was renamed the Askew Road Methodist Church. Most of the building was destroyed by bombs in October 1940. A new church hall designed by Sir Guy Dawber, Wilson & Fox was opened on 18 September 1954; the final stage of the building was opened in June 1968. The church became the Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed) in 1972 when it united with Oaklands Congregational Church.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Oaklands Congregational Church and Askew Road Methodist Church including minutes and financial records, membership and photographs.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Arranged in two sections as follows:
DD/0713/01: Records of Oaklands Congregational Church
DD/0713/02: Records of Askew Road Methodist Church

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is held by the Depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies in 1987.

Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also:
Oaklands Congregational Church: DD/711, DD/817, DD/969
Askew Road Methodist Church: DD/370/2/1, DD/969


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Added July 2015.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING