AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DD/0817
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1904-1972
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.15 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Oaklands Congregational Church xx Oaklands United Congregational Church xx Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed)


Administrative/Biographical history:

Oaklands Congregational Church was originally known as Oaklands United Congregational Church and was based at Uxbridge Road, Shepherds Bush. The church was initially a Union Church of Baptists and Congregationalists, including some from Becklow Road Mission. A meeting was held in July 1856 at Oaklands at which it was decided to erect a United Church. The church was formed on 1 January 1858. In 1868 the Baptist members left to establish a new church in Avenue Road. Ten years later in 1878 another group left the original church and began to hold services at Coningham Road School where they were known as Coningham Road Free Church. They opened an iron chapel in Askew Road in September 1885 and renamed themselves Starch Green Congregational Church.

Oaklands United Congregational Church closed and was sold on 30 April 1890 to Starch Green Congregational Church. The Starch Green congregation made alterations to the building and reopened it on 21 September 1890 as Oaklands Congregational Church. The iron chapel in Askew Road remained a mission hall.

The church was renovated during 1903 and again in 1920. The church closed in March 1972 and merged with Askew Road Methodist Church to form Askew Road Church (Methodist/United Reformed). The Uxbridge Road building became derelict and was demolished in March and April 1980.

Oaklands had a strong history of encouraging the social, intellectual and spiritual life of its members through literature and music. Annual Eisteddfods began in 1905.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Oaklands Congregational Church, Uxbridge Road, Hammersmith including records of clubs and societies, orders of service and music at the church.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Arranged in sections as follows:
DD/0817/01: Oaklands Literary Society
DD/0817/02: Society membership
DD/0817/03: Oaklands Music Club and Literary Society
DD/0817/04: Orders of service
DD/0817/05: Church organ
DD/0817/06: related documentation

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information may be subject to access restrictions.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is held by the Depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies on indefinite loan, 23 February 1993.

Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also DD/711, DD/713 and DD/969 for further records of the church.

Publication note:

See: A Brief history of Oaklands issued in celebration of its centenary in 1958 (DD/0969/01/02/002) for an account of the history and development of the church.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Added July 2015.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"