AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

HAMMERSMITH AND CITY RAILWAY

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 DD/1081
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: HAMMERSMITH AND CITY RAILWAY
Date(s): 1859-1938
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.07 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hammersmith and City Railway

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Metropolitan Railway opened from Farringdon Street to Bishop's Road (now part of Paddington Station) in 1863. It was extended to Hammersmith by the Hammersmith and City Railway, a separate company backed and operated by the Great Western Railway and the Metropolitan Railway, vested in them jointly in 1867.

The line to Hammersmith opened on 13 June 1864, with stations initially at Hammersmith, Shepherds Bush (Railway Approach) and Notting Hill (now Ladbroke Grove). The station at Hammersmith was moved 150 yards south to its present site in 1868 and was reconstructed in 1908. Shepherds Bush Station, Railway Approach, was replaced by two new stations in 1914, Shepherds Bush (Uxbridge Road) and Goldhawk Road. The Railway Approach site was taken over by Shepherds Bush Market.

The Metropolitan Railway Company was vested in the London Passenger Transport Board in 1933 which took over the management of the passenger service, although the Hammersmith and City Line remained a joint undertaking. Upon nationalization of the railways in 1948 the Hammersmith and City Railway was incorporated in the London Transport Railway System.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Hammersmith and City Railway Company including adminstrative material, deeds relating to Hammersmith and Paddington, plans.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Arranged in sections as follows:
DD/1081/01: Administration
DD/1081/02: Hammersmith deeds
DD/1081/03: Paddington deeds
DD/1081/04: Plans

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is held by the City of London.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Donated to Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies by British Railways Board Records Centre in 2000.

Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.

Allied Materials

Related material:

See also ACC/2324, ACC/1297/H&C and ACC/1297/HCJ.


Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Added July 2015.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING