AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 H77
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1886-1971
Level of description: Collection
Extent: 0.81 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Fulham Hospital | 1925-1973 xx Fulham Union Infirmary | 1884-1915 xx Fulham Military Hospital | 1915-1925 xx St Christopher's Hospital | 1925


Administrative/Biographical history:

Fulham Hospital began life as the Fulham Union Infirmary in 1884 and was based in St Dunstan's Road. On the same site and closely associated with the Infirmary were Fulham Union Workhouse and Parsons Green Receiving Home for Children, all run by the Fulham Board of Guardians. The hospital became a training school for nurses in 1898.

At the beginning of WW1 wounded soldiers from the Ypres battleground were brought to Fulham. In 1915 the War Office took over the workhouse and Infirmary - as it did with several other Poor Law institutions - and they became the Fulham Military Hospital. In 1925 it was renamed St Christopher's Hospital but one month later the decision was reversed and the name became 'Fulham Hospital' (not to be confused with the Fulham Hospital in Seagrave Road, which became the Western Hospital in 1885, see H78).

On the creation of the National Health Service (NHS) in 1948, the hospital came under the administration of the Chelsea & Kensington Hospital Management Committee. In 1959 it became part of the Charing Cross Group in anticipation of the building of a new Charing Cross hospital on its site which would incorporate the services of Fulham Hospital.

Fulham Hospital closed in January 1973 and services were transferred to the new Charing Cross Hospital built on the same site. The new hospital merged the services of Fulham Hospital and Charing Cross Hospital and later West London Hospital.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of Fulham Hospital (1886 - 1971) including: Visitors Books; Specifications for Building Works; Engineers Department files; Staff Records; Baptism Register; Plans and Photographs. Also includes the following patient records: Registers of Cases (Births); Operations Books; Registers of Deaths and Patients' Notes.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Arranged in sections as follows:
H77/A: Administration
H77/B: Patients' Records
H77/C: Staff Records
H77/G: Chaplain's Records
H77/P: Plans
H77/PH: Photographs.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 2018.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright rests with the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at:

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited at Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local Studies in 1967 and 2005.

Transferred from Hammersmith and Fulham Archives and Local History Centre in 2015.

Allied Materials

Related material:

SC/PHL/02/0555 Special Collections Photograph Library, General Subjects Box 555 contains many photographs of Fulham Union Infirmary, some of which are available through the Collage picture archive.

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Added June 2019.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"