AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

George III Museum

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0100 KCLCA K/MUS
Held at: King's College London College Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: George III Museum
Date(s): [1768-1970]
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 4 boxes (0.04 cubic metres)
Name of creator(s): George III Museum
Kew Observatory, Richmond
Detailed catalogue: Click here to view repository detailed catalogue


Administrative/Biographical history:

The collection of scientific instruments accumulated by King George III and others was at one time housed in the King's private observatory, Richmond, Surrey (later known as Kew Observatory), built in 1769 to observe the transit of Venus, and included measurement devices such as clocks, thermometers and barometers, mechanical demonstration equipment including spring balances, levers and an Archimedes screw, electrical apparatus including Leyden jars, electroscopes and batteries; and navigational and astronomical instruments including globes, orreries, theodolites and telescopes. The collection was dispersed in 1841 with a small part remaining at Kew and elements going to the British Museum or Armagh Observatory. However, the bulk of its contents were donated by Queen Victoria to King's College London for public display and use in scientific demonstrations and experiments.


Scope and content/abstract:

The collection comprises manuscript notebooks, printed pamphlets, correspondence, a minute book, and photographic and other catalogues, 1768-1970. These notably include notebooks containing descriptions and viewing data relating to astronomical observations carried out at Kew Observatory, Richmond, Surrey, on behalf of King George III, with a printed pamphlet by Nevil Maskelyne, Astronomer Royal, entitled Observations of the transit of Venus over the Sun, 1768-1769; manuscript notebook containing measurements recorded during a test of the accuracy of the H5 chronometer designed by John Harrison, 1772; manuscript notebooks recording daily temperature, barometric, hygrometric and rainfall readings taken at Kew Observatory, Richmond, Surrey, 1773-1840; a printed pamphlet by George Atwood, Fellow of the Royal Society, entitled A Supplement to 'A treatise on the construction and properties of arches' (London, 1804), with manuscript dedication to King George III and related correspondence, 1804-1805; a folio signature book of visits by dignitaries to the George III Museum, 1843-1929; manuscript diary describing the work of the George III Museum including the upkeep of equipment and use of exhibits in experiments, 1850-1880; manuscript minutes of the George III Museum Committee charged with managing the collection, 1880-1885; catalogues relating to the collection, [1841-1970]; correspondence by George Calver, astronomer, relating to telescope design, 1897; series of copper plates and labels advertising the George III Museum, [1841-1926].

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English and French.

System of arrangement:

Broadly chronological.

Conditions governing access:

Open, subject to signature of reader's undertaking form.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services.

Finding aids:

This collection level description and a detailed catalogue online and available in hard copy in the College Archives reading room, King's College London.

Archival Information

Archival history:

The collection was donated by Queen Victoria in 1841 and transferred to King's College London from the Kew Observatory in the same year. The Museum opened two years later in 1843. The equipment was relocated to the Science Museum, South Kensington, London, on loan from King's College, in 1926. Papers relating to the collection were held by the Department of Physics, King's College, between 1926 and 1970 when they were transferred to the College Archives.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Department of Physics, King's College London.

Allied Materials

Related material:

King's College London College Archives: Wheatstone collection contains material relating to the George III Museum (Ref: Wheatstone 6/1), also King's College Council Special Committee (KA/CS/M1), College in-correspondence (KA/IC/G17).

The Science Museum, South Kensington, contains a few uncatalogued papers.

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Catalogue of physical apparatus etc., in the King George III Museum (London, 1901); John Anthony Chaldecott, Handbook of the King George III collection of scientific instruments (London, 1951).

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Sources: Catalogue of physical apparatus etc., in the King George III Museum (London, 1901); John Anthony Chaldecott, Handbook of the King George III collection of scientific instruments (London, 1951); British Library OPAC. Entry compiled by Geoff Browell.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
13 November 2000

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"