AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

St Andrew's Hospital

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0387 SA
Held at: Royal London Hospital
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at http://bartshealth.nhs.uk/about-us/museums,-history-and-archives/the-royal-london-archives/ ›
Full title: St Andrew's Hospital
Date(s): 1873-1960
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 20 linear metres
Name of creator(s): St Andrew's Hospital

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

St Andrew's Hospital was founded in 1868 as the Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum, under the Metropolitan Poor Act of 1867. The Act gave authority to the Poor Law Board to order the combination of Unions and Parishes to provide asylums for the Sick Poor. Poplar and Stepney Unions formed one of six such Asylum Districts. The Asylum was built at Bromley-by-Bow along architectural lines favoured by Florence Nightingale, and opened in 1873. The Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum District administered the Asylum until the District was abolished in 1925. The Asylum was renamed St Andrew's Hospital in 1921 and was administered by the Metropolitan Asylums board from 1925 until 1933, when responsibility transferred to the London County Council.

St Andrew's became a NHS Hospital in 1948 and was administered by the No 8 Group, Bow Hospital Management Committee until 1963, when the Group merged with the West Ham Group to form the Thames Group of Hospitals. From 1974 to 1982 the hospital formed part of Newham Health District (though positioned in Tower Hamlets) under the City and East London Area Health Authority (Teaching). Since 1982 it has been administered by Newham Health Authority.

St Andrew's Hospital grew through 19th century extensions to over 650 beds. A school of nursing was established in 1875 and nurses followed a three year course for a certificate of training and sick cookery. By 1930 an optional maternity training course had been established and the nursing staff had expanded to over 200. The headquarters of Newham District School of Nursing transferred to St Andrew's following the closure of Newham Maternity Hospital, Forest Gate in 1985, and the School merged with the Princess Alexandra College of Nursing and Midwifery in 1991.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of St Andrew's Hospital, 1873-1960, comprising minutes of the Medical Committee, 1960, 1978-1985; staff registers, 1961-1962;
admission and discharge registers, 1873-1944, recording dates of admission, discharge, death, patient details, diagnosis and religion; admission registers, 1960-1966; religious creed registers, 1873-1933, recording admission date, patient details, religion and discharge, (after 1933 religion is recorded in admission registers); operations register, 1934-1974; maternity registers, 1951-1971; pupil midwives' registers of cases, 1948-1958; medical students' registers of cases, 1958-1963; registers of death, 1939-1967; medical and surgical report books, 1956-1959, recording the progress of patients;
register of nurse probationers, 1895-1907; registers of pupil midwives, 1935-1968.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

The records are arranged as follows: administrative records; patient records; nursing records.

Conditions governing access:

Researchers wishing to consult the archives should first contact the Trust Archivist, The Royal London Hospital, Whitechapel, London, E1 1BB, for an appointment.

All records containing details of treatment of identified patients are confidential and access to them may be restricted, subject to access arrangements under the Freedom of Information Act, 2000 and the Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

A photocopying service is available at the discretion of the Archivist. Photocopies are supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Archivist.

Finding aids:

A list is available at the Royal London Hospital Archives and Museum.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred by the Services Manager for Medical Services, and from St Andrew's Works Department in 1981 and 1992.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Records relating to the Hospital, 1913-1948, and Poplar and Stepney Sick Asylum District minutes, 1868-1925, are held by the London Metropolitan Archive (reference: PSSA).


National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Sources: Wellcome Library and the Public Record Office HOSPREC: On-Line Hospital Records Database. Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June 2001

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING