AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

St Clement's Hospital

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0387 SC
Held at: Barts Health NHS Trust Archives (Royal London Hospital Archives)
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: St Clement's Hospital
Date(s): 1895-1974
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 2.5 linear metres
Name of creator(s): St Clement's Hospital
Detailed catalogue: Click here to view repository detailed catalogue


Administrative/Biographical history:

The original buildings were erected in 1848 - 1849 as a workhouse for the Board of Guardians of the City of London Union. In 1874 it was converted into an infirmary for the same Union. With the reconstruction of Homerton Workhouse in 1909, Bow was superfluous to the Union's needs and was closed, but in 1912 it was re-opened as Bow Institution to treat the chronic sick. London County Council took over the hospital in 1930 when the Board of Guardians was abolished; the number of beds was increased to 786. In 1933 a mental observation unit was opened. St. Clement's (so named from 1936) was badly damaged by bombs in August 1944.
On the introduction of the National Health Service, the Hospital was taken over by the Bow (No. 8) Hospital Management Committee (itself replaced in 1963 by the Thames Group Hospital Management Committee). In 1959, it became exclusively psychiatric. Control of the Hospital passed to the Governors of the London Hospital in 1968, and its designation was altered to The London Hospital (St. Clement's). In 1974 it became part of the Tower Hamlets Health District. The hospital formed part of The Royal London Hospital and Associated Community Services NHS Trust in 1991 and was known as The Royal London Hospital (St Clement's) from 1990. Upon closure of the hospital in 2005 services were transferred to a new Adult Mental Health Facility at Mile End Hospital.


Scope and content/abstract:

Administrative records, patient records, nursing records, photographs, plans and miscellaneous papers

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

See Scope and content.

Conditions governing access:

Some material is restricted. Please contact the repository in the first instance.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copying and digitisation services are available for unrestricted material. Researchers should contact the repository in the first instance.

Finding aids:

See 'Detailed catalogue' link above.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Some records were among the archives of the London Hospital in September 1984. The remaining records were transferred from St Clement's Hospital in 1985. The photographs of City of London Board of Guardians minutes and maps were purchased from London Metropolitan Archives in 1986.

Allied Materials

Related material:

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Originally compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project. Updated by Clare Button, Archivist, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Queen Mary University of London.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
June 2001, updated April 2020.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"