AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area


Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0370 QMC/PS
Held at: Queen Mary, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Date(s): 1910-1990
Level of description: Sub-fonds of Queen Mary College
View parent record
Extent: 351 boxes
Name of creator(s): East London College
Queen Mary College
Detailed catalogue: Click here to view repository detailed catalogue


Administrative/Biographical history:

The first principal of East London College (later Queen Mary College) was John Leigh Streatham Hatton, from 1908 to 1933. He was also Director of Studies of the People's Palace Schools from 1896. Later principals were Major General Sir Frederick Barton Maurice, 1933-1944, Benjamin Ifor Evans, 1944-1951, Sir Thomas Percival Creed, 1952-1967, Sir Harry Melville, 1967-1976, Sir James Woodham Menter, 1976-1986 and Professor Ian Butterworth, 1986-1991.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Principals of Queen Mary College, formerly East London College, 1910-1990, comprising correspondence files relating to College departments, [1940-1982]; Military Education Committee, 1947-1973; research studentships, 1931-1936; post graduate courses, 1941; Fellowships and studentships, 1947-1957; London County Council, 1936-1945;
People's Palace, 1932-1956, including papers relating to the public inquiry, 1932, following the fire of 1931; war damage to buildings, 1944-1945; requisition of buildings and occupation of hostels by WAAFs, [1940s]; rebuilding, 1911-1943, largely alterations to blocks; public lectures and functions, 1937-1955; hostels, 1930-1970; correspondence with Consultant Engineer, 1934-1939, relating to College buildings and services; correspondence with the City and Guilds, 1922-1938; Drapers' Company, 1933-1945; Governing Body agendas, [1924-1969]; papers, including minutes, of the Committee of Deans, 1956-1971; Registrars' files, 1950-1955; quinquennial development, 1910-1933, 1957-1972; Collegiate Council papers, 1969-1970; press cuttings, 1939-1972.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

The records are unsorted.

Conditions governing access:

Apply to Archivist. The Archives are available for access in the Archives Reading Room located on the 2nd Floor of the Mile End Library. The Archives Reading Room is open Mondays to Fridays 9am-4pm by appointment only. Contact the Archives for more information: Archives, Main Library QMUL, 328 Mile End Rd, London E1 4NS, telephone: 020 7882 3873, email: For more information about the Archives see the website:

Conditions governing reproduction:

Photocopying at the discretion of the Archivist. Applications for copies for research or publication should be made to the Archivist: Main Library QMUL, 328 Mile End Rd, London E1 4NS, telephone: 020 7882 7873, email:

Finding aids:

Box list available.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred from a College basement store in 2001.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.

Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
May 2001

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"