AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

Hampstead General Hospital

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0074 H71/HG
Held at: London Metropolitan Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/things-to-do/london-metropolitan-archives/Pages/ ›
Full title: Hampstead General Hospital
Date(s): 1882-1975
Level of description: Sub fonds
Extent: 8 linear metres
Name of creator(s): Hampstead Hospital
Hampstead General Hospital
Hampstead Home Hospital Hospital and Nursing Institute
Hampstead General and North-West London Hospital
North-West London Hospital

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

The Hampstead General Hospital was founded in 1882 in South Hill Park Road as the Hampstead Home Hospital and Nursing Institute by Dr William Heath Strange, with the aim of providing care for people who did not wish to be treated at a public hospital, but could afford to pay a small amount for their treatment. In 1894 it changed its name to the Hampstead Hospital and in 1902, when the number of patients had outgrown the original building, the foundation stones of a new building were laid on Haverstock Hill. However, by 1907 the money for this project had run out, and the only way to complete the project was to merge with the North-West London Hospital in Camden Town, becoming the Hampstead General and North-West London Hospital. Thereafter the in-patients were treated in the new Hampstead General on Haverstock Hill and outpatients at the Camden site. In 1912 a new outpatients department was built at Bayham Street, Camden, in the house in which Charles Dickens had lived as a boy. The hospital became part of the Royal Free Group in 1948. It was demolished in 1975 to make way for the building of the new Royal Free.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

Records of the Hampstead General Hospital, formerly the Hampstead Home Hospital Hospital and Nursing Institute, 1882-1975, comprising:

Administrative records, notably Annual Reports, 1906-1945; Council minutes, 1886-1889, 1895-1948; House Committee minutes, 1886-1948; Visitors Books, 1898-1946; Building Committee minutes, 1899-1912; Medical Committee minutes, 1905-1974; correspondence and papers on dispute with the British Medical Association over the appointment of local medical practitioners to the Hospital, 1908-1910; Chaplain's Attendance and Report Book, 1911-1919; West End War Memorial Bed Committee minutes, 1921-1936; House Inspection reports, 1927-1947; Seal Books, 1931-1939; First Aid Post correspondence and accounts, 1940-1945; Nursing/Education Committee minutes, 1943-1967; Nurse Preliminary Training School Committee minutes, 1943-1953; Hospital Committee minutes, 1948-1951

Financial records, including Finance Committee minutes, 1901-1948; Audited Accounts, 1911-1948; Wages Book, 1912-1917; Medical Costs, 1915-1917; Clinical Analysis and Costs, 1931-1950; Patient's accounts, 1949-1968

Patient records, including Consultant books of Sidney Boyd, 1910-1939; Operating Department Registers 1970-1974; X-Ray Department Registers, 1968-1975

Ladies Association Annual Reports, 1914-1972; minutes, 1899-1912; Treasurer's records, 1952-1975

Nurses League publications, correspondence, photographs and ephemera, 1955-2000

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

Records are arranged according to originating department or committee.

Conditions governing access:

These records are available for public inspection, although records containing personal information are subject to access restrictions under the UK Data Protection Act, 1998.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is held by the depositor.

Finding aids:

Please see online catalogues at: http://search.lma.gov.uk/opac_lma/index.htm

Archival Information

Archival history:

Records of this hospital were largely rescued by Dr Edith Gilchrist, honorary archivist of the Royal Free Hospital, during the demolition of the hospital in 1975.
Much ephemeral and photographic material has been collected together over the years with provenance often unrecorded. The records along with the rest of the Royal Free Hospital and associated collections were transferred from the archives centre to London Metropolitan Archives in 2013.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited in December 2013

Allied Materials

Related material:

LMA also holds the records of the North-West London Hospital, (H71/NWL), which merged with Hampstead General in 1907. Also records of other hospitals in the Royal Free group, particularly the Royal Free Hospital (H71/RF) and the Childrens' Hospital, Hampstead (H71/CHH).


National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

An Illustrated History of the Royal Free Hospital by Lynne A Amidon, published by the Special Trustees of the Royal Free Hospital, London, 1996.

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled Jan 2001, revised by Alan Kucia as part of the RSLP AIM 25 Project.

Rules or conventions:
General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), 2nd edition, 2001. National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Created 30 Jan 2001, revised Nov 2001 and May 2014

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING