AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

St Audoen alias St Ewin parish

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0405 SAU
Held at: St Bartholomew's Hospital
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at,-history-and-archives/st-bartholomews-archives/ ›
Full title: St Audoen alias St Ewin parish
Date(s): [1495]-1533
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 3 items
Name of creator(s): St Audoen alias St Ewin parish


Administrative/Biographical history:

St Audoen alias St Ewin was a small church which stood at the north-west corner of Warwick Lane, Ludgate, and its existence is first recorded in about 1220. The church was demolished in about 1583, and the parish became part of Christ Church Greyfriars. The endowments of St Audoen were transferred to St Bartholomew's Hospital by a charter of Henry VIII. The parish of St Audoen was abolished in 1547 when the new parish of Christchurch Newgate Street was formed.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records of St Audoen alias St Ewin parish, [1495]-1533, comprising memorandum relating to churchwardens' account book and parish ordinances, [1495]; memorandum of expenses for an obit mass 'for the good benefactors and all Christian souls', 1507; ratification regarding the observance of the feast day of St Audoen alias St Ewin, 1533.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access:

Researchers wishing to consult the archives should first contact the Archivist, St Bartholomew's Hospital, for an appointment.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Photocopying is not permitted. However, single sheets dated after 1850 may be photocopied at the discretion of the Archivist. Photographs of items are obtainable, subject to copyright regulations, from the Department of Medical Illustration at St Bartholomew's Hospital. Arrangements can be made via the Archivist. Outside photographers and researchers' own cameras are not permitted.

Finding aids:

A catalogue in index card form is available at St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

The records were probably acquired by St Bartholomew's Hospital subsequent to the transfer of the endowments of the parish to the Hospital in 1547.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Charter of Henry VIII transferring the endowments of St Audoen alias St Ewin to St Bartholomew's Hospital (reference: HC1/2001-2), and title deeds of the Crown, Elden alias Warwick Lane and bonds, probably from the parish records (reference: HC1/811, 815, 1011-3, 1020-1, 1027-8, 1041-6, 1051-6, 1058, 1503-9, 1622, 1501-2, 1581-5), held by St Bartholomew's Hospital Archives.

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 project.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
October 2001

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"