AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

King's College for Women Address Books

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0100 KCLCA KWA/RAD, Q/RAD
Held at: King's College London College Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: King's College for Women Address Books
Date(s): 1894-1955
Level of description: Series level descriptions of King's College London Archives
View parent record
Extent: 24 volumes
Name of creator(s): Ladies' Department, King's College London
Women's Department, King's College London
King's College for Women, University of London
King's College of Household and Social Science, University of London
Queen Elizabeth College, University of London


Administrative/Biographical history:

In 1871 King's College London began courses of lectures and classes to meet the needs of higher education for women, reflecting the support of its Principal, the Rev Dr Barry. Following these early developments, a women's college was opened in 1877 in Kensington. In 1885, this became a constituent department of King's College London known as the Ladies' Department. Classes were provided in the field of Arts, Sciences, Fine Art and Music and Theology, as well as more practical subjects. In 1895 students began working for Oxford Honours examinations, and Science courses were arranged for External examinations. In 1899 the Council opened the Associateship of King's College (AKC) to students and in 1900 students began preparing for internal degrees, as a result of which in 1902 the Ladies' Department became known as the Women's Department. The Home Science Department was founded in 1908. In 1910, the Women's Department was incorporated into the University of London as a distinct College, and named King's College for Women. In the session 1914-1915 the work of the College diverged. Divinity, Arts and Science subjects were transferred to King's College on the Strand. Home Science, however, became the Household and Social Science Department, still a department of King's College for Women, but relocated to new premises in Campden Hill. The College achieved independence in 1928 as the newly styled King's College of Household and Social Science and was known as Queen Elizabeth College from 1953 until the merger with King's College in 1985.


Scope and content/abstract:

King's College for Women student address books, 1894-1917 (Ref: KWA/RAD), student address book, 1908-1955 (Ref: Q/RAD1). Information typically includes student addresses and courses being taken.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Organised chronologically.

Conditions governing access:

Subject to an eighty-year closure period from date of leaving, but may be consulted by appropriate College staff.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, can be supplied to appropriate College staff. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.

Finding aids:

Detailed lists are available for consultation in the King's College London Archives Reading Room.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Allied Materials

Related material:

King's College for Women Registers of Attendance (Ref: KWA/RAT).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Sources: King's College London catalogues; Neville Marsh, The history of Queen Elizabeth College (London, 1986). Compiled by Beverley Ager as part of the RSLP AIM25 Project.

Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997; ISAD(G), Second edition, 2000.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March 2002

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"