AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Buildings of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 1538 G
Held at: Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Buildings of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists
Date(s): 1936-2001
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 8 boxes, 1 volume
Name of creator(s): Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists | RCOG


Administrative/Biographical history:

The first official residence of the College was at 58 Queen Anne Street, London, W1; it was purchased with funds donated anonymously by William Blair-Bell, who also set up an endowment fund and a purchasing fund for the house. The building was officially opened by the Duchess of York (H M the Queen Mother) on December 5, 1932. The house gradually became too small for the College's needs and was sold and replaced in 1955 by the present site at 27 Sussex Place, NW1. The College additionally maintains a house for the President at 8 Kent Terrace, NW1; the house is also used for functions and for accommodating visitors.


Scope and content/abstract:

Records relating to buildings, services and maintenance of property of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 1936-2001.

The records are arranged in the following series:

G1, Sale of 58 Queen Anne Street and purchase of 27 Sussex Place, 1953-1972;

G2, Sussex Place: miscellaneous material relating to electrical & audio-visual systems, rating, car parking etc, 1959-1971;

G3, Sussex Place: material relating to the proposed library extension, 1966-1972;

G4, Sussex Place: material relating to projection and other communication equipment for the Nuffield Hall, 1968-1969;

G5, Sample material relating to furnishing and heating of RCOG premises, Queen Anne Street; to plaques and other inscriptions relating to bequests; and to redecoration and cleaning, RCOG Sussex Place, 1952-1970;

G6, 27 Sussex Place: records relating to proposed extensions and developments, 1979-1984;

G7, 27 Sussex Place: material concerning the redesign of the garden, 1983-1984;

G8, 8 Kent Terrace and 27 Sussex Place: College Surveyor's reports and associated correspondence, 1985-1998;

G9, 27 Sussex Place: records relating to second floor extension, 1986-1990;

G10, 27 Sussex Place: correspondence and papers concerning installation of the College stained glass dome, 1989-1991;

G11, 27 Sussex Place: College Secretary's general correspondence and papers relating to accommodation needs and alterations, 1989-1993;

G12, 27 Sussex Place: records relating to construction of the Education Centre, 2000-2001.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

See series descriptions for details.

Conditions governing access:

Open 20 years after last date on file.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copyright is vested in the College.

Finding aids:

A general index to the files listed in the catalogue of the Archives of the Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists is maintained in the College Archives; refer to the College Archivist.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Most of the records listed below were probably transferred to the Archives by the College Secretary, who is responsible for policy relating to College buildings, and until recently, for maintenance work. The latter is now the responsibility of the Facilities Department.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Allied Materials

Related material:

Royal College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists holds earlier records relating to 58 Queen Anne Street (Ref: A1, especially A1/24-26); legal papers relating to alterations to the building as a consequence of Blair-Bell's will (formerly at G1/34) (Ref: H1/8); records of various building fund appeals, 1932-1987 (Ref: F8-F15); gifts on the opening of Sussex Place (Ref: F11/5); film and sound recordings relating to the 1960 opening ceremony (Ref: R5/7 and R6/11); material concerning the move to Sussex Place (Ref: G2); further records on the proposed library extension (Ref: G3); records concerning equipment for the Nuffield Hall (Ref: G4); legal documents relating to (including the lease of) Sussex Place (Ref: H6); the Honorary Treasurer's papers relating to accommodation, including a copy of the 1961 lease (Ref: A6/2/3); files on the Buildings Committee and the building fund, 1980-1984 (Ref: A6/2/5-6); file on plans for extensions to College buildings, 1985-1987 (Ref: A6/3/8); file on general maintenance, 1990 (Ref: A6/3/9); photographs of Queen Anne St and Sussex Place (Ref: PH4); exhibition photographs of the construction of the building (Ref: R3/9/2); plans and drawings removed from G1 (Ref: PL6); other plans of Queen Anne St (Ref: PL5); further plans of Sussex Place (Ref: PL7-17, PL19-21 and PL23-28); minutes of the House Sub-committee, 1932 (Ref: T1, pp1-25i); minutes of the Buildings Committee 1956-1959 (Ref: T3).

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Clare Cowling, revised by Julie Tancell as part of the RSLP AIM25 Project.

Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997; ISAD(G), Second Edition, 2000.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Revised September 2002

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"