AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Catholic Education Council

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 2164 CEC
Held at: St Mary's College, Twickenham
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Catholic Education Council
Date(s): 1848-1993
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: ): 58 items
Name of creator(s): Catholic Education Council | from 1905
Catholic Poor School Committee | 1848-1888
Catholic Schools Committee | 1888-1905


Administrative/Biographical history:

The Catholic Poor School Committee was founded in 1847 under the auspices of the Catholic Bishops of Great Britain to provide primary education for the children of poor Catholics in the UK. At this time there was an urgent need to address the lack of schools and teachers for Catholic children, who either attended non-Catholic schools or had no formal education at all.

The Committee consisted of 24 members comprising a clergyman and two laymen from each of the eight ecclesiastical districts into which England and Wales was then divided.

Chaired by the Hon Charles Langdale, the committee was recognized as the body nominated to act as intermediary between the Catholic body and the Committee of the Privy Council on Education, with a view to obtaining a share of the Government Grant for National Education, providing assistance for the building and support of Catholic schools and establishing training colleges for teachers.

In December 1847, the Committee of Council on Education set the conditions for aid grants to the Roman Catholic Schools

It was this Catholic Poor School Committee who purchased the Hammersmith site on which St Mary's College was established in 1850.

From 1888, this committee was known as the Catholic Schools Committee, and in 1905 its was converted into the Catholic Education Council, a much larger body with 80 members. The Catholic Education Council continued and enlarged on the work of its predecessor, fostering the building and extension of schools, promoting and establishing training colleges and secondary education to meet the needs of a growing Catholic population. It continued to by chaired by the 15th Duke of Norfolk until his death in 1916.

[The Committee of Council on Education consisting of four ministers of the Crown, was created in 1839 to superintend the application of any sums voted by Parliament for the purpose of promoting public education. The Education Committee of the Privy Council became the Board of Education and subsequently the Education Department.]


Scope and content/abstract:

: Records of the Catholic Education Committee and its predecessors comprising:

Annual reports 1848-1981 (incomplete); Annual General Meeting reports of proceedings 1923-25, including Report on religious inspection of training colleges; files concerning St. Mary's College, Strawberry Hill 1937-1985;

photocopies of Chairman's papers, 1899-1900 including letters received by Chairman from the Committee Secretary, Mr Hunnybun, in 1899 and of report of the Hammersmith Committee,1900;

Catholic Poor School Committee Thiebault's Trust papers 1864-1880;

Catholic Education: an educational review 1956-1959 (incomplete); Catholic Education Council News Bulletin 1962-1972 (incomplete); The Education Reform Act 1988 and Catholic Schools: a guide to the Act, 1988; The Education (School Government) Regulations, 1989: a guide for the governors of Catholic schools, 1989.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

Conditions governing access:

Open by appointment only, contact the Archivist in the first instance, St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill, Waldegrave Road, Twickenham TW1 4SX.
Access is granted in compliance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and Freedom of Information Act 2000. Readers are asked to note that under the terms of these Acts, access restrictions apply to some series.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies available subject to physical condition and copyright regulations.

Finding aids:

St Mary's College Learning Resources Catalogue

Archival Information

Archival history:

Copies of CEC Chairman's papers copied from Arundel Castle file MD 2117 in 1993.

Immediate source of acquisition:

Acquired from the Catholic Education Council, 1993.

Allied Materials

Related material:

St Mary's Training College, Hammersmith (Ref SHM), St Mary's College Strawberry Hill, Committee of Principals of Catholic Training Colleges (Ref CTC) held by St Mary's College, Strawberry Hill Twickenham.

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Sources: Sources: Historical Manuscripts Commission's On-Line National Register of Archives; Notes on administrative history of St Mary's college prepared by Dr Clare Rider; 150 Years of St Mary's College, Ken Breen, (Freeland Haynes Marketing Communications, Southampton, 2000); Centenary record of St Mary's College, Hammersmith, 1850-1925: Strawberry Hill, 1925-1950, St Mary's College 1950; St Mary's College Learning Resources Catalogue.
Compiled by Alison Field as part of the London Signpost Survey Project.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
August 2003

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"