AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Administrative Records of Guy's Hospital Medical School

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0100 G/ GC G/AC G/AD
Held at: King's College London College Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Administrative Records of Guy's Hospital Medical School
Date(s): 1821-1992
Level of description: Subfonds of Guy's Hospital Medical School
View parent record
Extent: approximately 420 files
Name of creator(s): Guy's Hospital Medical School


Administrative/Biographical history:

Guy's Hospital was founded in 1721 by Thomas Guy, a bookseller and publisher in London who made a large fortune from his business. As required by his will, an Act of Parliament was passed in 1725 establishing the Corporation of Governors for Guy's Hospital. The Governors administered the estates acquired by the hospital and managed the hospital through a committee (the Court of Committees) of twenty-one men named by Guy, including four doctors. Meetings of the General Court were short and occupied by formal business. The management of the two hospitals was at first closely associated, with Guy's seen as an annexe to Thomas's. All the arrangements and procedures at St Thomas's were adopted by Guy's, and there were some joint Governors and they had the same Treasurer until 1839.

The First Dean of the Medical School - Frederick Taylor was appointed in 1874. He was succeeded by E C Perry 1888, L E Shaw 1893, J Fawcett 1901, H L Eason 1904, H C Cameron 1912, L Bromley 1915, T B Johnston 1920, T J Evans 1937, and E R Boland 1945.

The position of School Secretary appears to have been formalised during the 1930s when J E H Winston was appointed. He retired in 1950, and was succeeded by W F Cook, 1950-1969, and Donald Bompas, from 1969-[1985].

This administrative structure altered when the Medical Schools of Guy's and St Thomas's Hospitals reunited as the United Medical and Dental Schools of Guy's and St Thomas' Hospitals (UMDS) in 1982. The new institution was then enlarged by the amalgamation of the Royal Dental Hospital of London School of Dental Surgery with Guy's Dental School on 1 August 1983 and the addition on the Institute of Dermatology on 1 August 1985. In 1990 King's College London began discussions with the United Schools and, following formal agreement to merge in 1992 and the King's College London Act 1997, the formal merger with UMDS took place on 1 August 1998. The merger created three new schools: the Guy's, King's and St Thomas' Schools of Medicine, of Dentistry and of Biomedical Sciences, and reconfigured part of the former School of Life, Basic Medical & Health Sciences as the new School of Health & Life Sciences.


Scope and content/abstract:

Administrative records of Guy's Hospital Medical and Dental School comprising
Schools Secretary's copies of agendas, minutes and papers of Council of Governors, 1982-1983; Finance Committee, 1982-1986; Accommodation Committee, 1976-1984; Dental Academic Committee, 1982-1986; Dental Finance Sub Committee, 1976-1982; Academic Committee, 1984-1986; Academic Board, 1982-1986; various committees, 1958-1986;

minutes of prize / scholarship / lectureship committees 1891-1954;

files relating to academic departments and administration including teaching staff, 1962-1992; Dental School Tower Block dvelopmeent,1957-1976; Pathology Department, 1912-1934;

Guy's Hospital Medical and Dental School Prize examinations lists 1900-1974; Guy's Hospital Dental School - prize examinations 1892-1985;

files relating to school management including Medical and Dental School correspondence and Dean's files, 1850-1956; papers relating to deeds and insurance, 1888-1941; New School Building Fund, 1893-1935; School Secretary's and Dean's files, 1875-1943; Secretary's general files, 1920s-1980s; Secretary and Dean's files concerning the Guy's Hospital Tower Block development, 1960-1976; Secretary's files concerning research funding, 1950-1980; Secretary's files re Quinquennium applications, development proposals, and recurrent grants, 1947-1982; Secretary's Returns to University Grants Committee, 1930-1979; Astley Cooper Prize Fund minutes, 1850-1973; Guy's Hospital War Memorial Fund, 1918-1923; Davies-Colley Memorial Fund, 1900-1909; Guy's Hospital Festivals and Dinners, 1821-1984; Guy's Hospital Employees Association, 1923-1932.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

As outlined in scope and content

Conditions governing access:

Open, subject to signature of reader's undertaking form.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive and Corporate Record Services.

Finding aids:

This collection level description summary guide available online.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred from Guy's Hospital Medical School Library in 2002.

Allied Materials

Related material:

King's College London Archives holds records of the Medical School after its merger with St Thomas' Hospital Medical School to form United Medical and Dental Schools (Reference: UMDS).

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Alison Field

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal Place and Corporate Names 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
March 2002

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"