AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area
ADVERTISING

St Thomas's Hospital Student Nurse Records

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0100 KCLCA TH/SN/FP
Held at: King's College London College Archives
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at http://www.kcl.ac.uk/library/archivespec/ ›
Full title: St Thomas's Hospital Student Nurse Records
Date(s): [1950-1980]
Level of description: Collection (fonds)
Extent: 120 microfilm reels
Name of creator(s): St Thomas's Hospital

Context

Administrative/Biographical history:

St Thomas's Hospital had its beginnings in the Priory of St Mary Overie, [1200], situated in Southwark. In 1212 the building was destroyed by fire, and was rebuilt as St Thomas's Hospital in 1215, dedicated to St Thomas Becket. Until the dissolution of the monasteries by Henry VIII, the Hospital of St Thomas the Martyr was an independent Augustinian House devoted to the care and cure of the sick poor. In 1540 the Hospital was closed and revenues forfeited. King Edward VI restored the Hospital in 1551, which was then known as the Hospital of King Edward VI and of St Thomas the Apostle, as Thomas Becket, who had been canonized by Pope Alexander III, had by then been decanonized. The Hospital was rebuilt again in 1693. A piece of ground was rented from St Thomas's by Thomas Guy, and in 1722 he built a new Hospital, now known as Guy's. In this manner the `United Hospitals' of St Thomas's and Guy's came about, and the partnership existed from 1768 to 1825. The split between St Thomas's and Guy's occurred in 1825. The Nightingale School of Nursing, founded by Florence Nightingale, opened at St Thomas's Hospital in 1860. In 1919 the Nightingale School and the St John School merged, at first known as the Nursing Association of St John and St Thomas, until the two institutions rapidly integrated and identity was lost. In 1948 St Thomas's Hospital was managed by London Regional Hospital Board (Teaching), acting through a Hospital Management Committee. In 1974 St Thomas's District Health Authority (Teaching) was formed, under the Lambeth, Southwark and Lewisham Area Health Authority (Teaching) which in 1982 became West Lambeth District Health Authority, and from 1993 became Guy's and St Thomas's Hospital National Health Service Trust. In 1993 the Nightingale School of Nursing of St Thomas's Hospital and Guy's Hospital, and Normanby College, combined to form the Nightingale Institute. The United Medical and Dental School (UMDS) of Guy's and St Thomas's merged with King's College London in 1998, leading to the Department of Nursing Studies at King's being amalgamated with the Nightingale Institute, with a consequent name change to the Florence Nightingale Division of Nursing and Midwifery. In 1999 the Division became the Florence Nightingale School of Nursing and Midwifery.

Content

Scope and content/abstract:

St Thomas's Hospital student nurse records, [1950-1980], includes detailed application forms, correspondence and training records.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:
English

System of arrangement:

120 microfilm reels.

Conditions governing access:

Student and staff records are closed for 80 years from the last date on file.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies, subject to the condition of the original, may be supplied for research use only. Requests to publish original material should be submitted to the Director of Archive Services, King's College London.

Finding aids:

Index to names is available in the reading room of the College Archives.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:

Deposited by the Division of Nursing and Midwifery of King's College London in 1997.

Allied Materials

Related material:

King's College London Archives also holds Nurse and student nurse records of: Lewisham Hospital, [1960-1990] (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA LH/FP); King's College Hospital Nightingale Institute, 1885-1998 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA K/NI/FP & K/NI/PR); Dulwich Hospital, 1917-1967 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA DH/FP); St Francis Hospital, 1949-1956 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SFH/FP); St Giles Hospital, 1931, 1952-1954 (Ref: GB 0100 KCLCA SGH/FP); and St Saviour's Infirmary, [1890]-1931.


Administrative records, 1250-1985, and clinical and patients records, 1878-1936, of St Thomas's Hospital are held at London Metropolitan Archives (Ref: HO1/ST); admission and discharge records, 1803-1821, and Clinical and patients records, 1803-1821, are held at Southwark Local Studies Library.

National Register of Archives: Click here to view NRA record

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Sources: On-line Public Record Office and Wellcome Trust's Hospital Records Database at http://hospitalrecords.pro.gov.uk. Compiled by Annabel Dodds.

Rules or conventions:
National Council on Archives, Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997; ISAD(G), Second edition, 2000.

Date(s) of descriptions:
May 2000.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

ADVERTISING