AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Ranyard, Arthur Cowper (1845-1894)

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0096 AL 102
Held at: Senate House Library, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Ranyard, Arthur Cowper (1845-1894)
Date(s): 1881
Level of description: Collection level (fonds)
Extent: 2 leaves
Name of creator(s): Ranyard | Arthur Cowper | 1845-1894 | astronomer


Administrative/Biographical history:

Arthur Cowper Raynard was born in Kent in 1845; studied at University College London, co-founding a mathematical society with George De Morgan (son of Augustus De Morgan), before entering Pembroke College, Cambridge, from which he graduated MA in 1868. Ranyard was called the bar at Lincoln's Inn in 1871 and thereafter practised law, but his income was sufficient to allow him to spend much of his time studying astronomy. He became a fellow of the Royal Astronomical Society in 1863 and spent many years serving on its council. Ranyard died in 1894.


Scope and content/abstract:

Papers of Arthur Cowper Raynard, 1881, comprise a letter to Mrs [Sophia] De Morgan, widow of Augustus De Morgan, offering to lend her Professor Edward Singleton Holden's biography Sir William Herschel, his life and works (London, 1881).

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

1 item.

Conditions governing access:

Access to this collection is unrestricted for the purpose of private study and personal research within the supervised environment and restrictions of the Library's Palaeography Room. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies may be made, subject to the condition of the original. Copying must be undertaken by the Palaeography Room staff, who will need a minimum of 24 hours to process requests.

Finding aids:

Catalogue of the manuscripts and autograph letters in the University Library at the central building of the University of London (1921). A copy is available in the Library's Palaeography Room.

Archival Information

Archival history:

Immediate source of acquisition:


Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Samantha Velumyl, AIM25 cataloguer.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
May 2008.

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"