AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Fisher, John (Bishop of Salisbury): letter (1816)

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0096 AL192
Held at: Senate House Library, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Fisher, John (Bishop of Salisbury): letter (1816)
Date(s): 1816
Level of description: fonds
Extent: 2 leaves (1 blank)
Name of creator(s): Fisher | John | 1748-1825 | Bishop of Salisbury


Administrative/Biographical history:

John Fisher was born at Hampton, Middlesex, in 1748. He was educated in Peterborough and London before entering Peterhouse, Cambridge. He was ordained Deacon in the Church of England in 1771 and ordained Priest in 1773. He also became a Fellow of St John's College, Cambridge in 1773. From 1781-1785 Fisher became Chaplain to King George III and took charge of educating some of the royal children for several years. He became a Canon at Windsor in 1786, Bishop of Exeter in 1803, and Bishop of Salisbury in 1807. In 1819 he became a Fellow of the Royal Society. After his death in 1825, Fisher was buried in St George's Chapel, Windsor.


Scope and content/abstract:

Letter from John Fisher of Weymouth to Patrick Colquhoun, LLD, 18 Sep 1816. Regarding plans for the provision of a female penitentiary and lock hospital [i.e. hospital for treating sexually-transmitted infections] in Bath; accompanying a copy of the institution's prospectus. Autograph, with signature.

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

See hard copy catalogue.

Conditions governing access:

Access to this collection is unrestricted for the purpose of private study and personal research within the supervised environment and restrictions of the Library's Palaeography Room. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies may be made, subject to the condition of the original. Copying must be undertaken by the Palaeography Room staff, who will need a minimum of 24 hours to process requests.

Finding aids:

Typescript catalogue available in the Library's Palaeography Room.

Archival Information

Archival history:

See archivist

Immediate source of acquisition:

Found inserted in the Goldsmith's Library copy of Bath Penitentiary and Lock Hospital - classmark: [G.L.] B.816.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Anya Turner.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
July 2008

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"