AIM25 : Click here to go back to the AIM25 homepage
Archives in London and the M25 area

Telford, Thomas: letter

Identity Statement

Reference code(s): GB 0096 AL478
Held at: Senate House Library, University of London
  Click here to find out how to view this collection at ›
Full title: Telford, Thomas: letter
Date(s): 1811-[1834]
Level of description: fonds
Extent: 6 items (7 leaves)
Name of creator(s): Telford | Thomas | 1757-1834 | civil engineer


Administrative/Biographical history:

Thomas Telford was born in Westerkirk, Dumfriesshire in 1757. He was apprenticed to a stonemason at the age of 14. He worked for several years in Scotland and England, mangaging building projects, before becoming Surveyor of Public Works in Shropshire in 1787. Telford subsequently became the designer of or a consultant to many large and important engineering projects. His best known works include the iron bridge at Ironbridge, Shropshire, the Ellesmere Canal, and the London-to-Holyhead trunk road, including the Menai Suspension Bridge. Telford served as first president of the Institution of Civil Engineers from 1820 until his death. The new town of Telford, Shropshire, was named in his honour in 1968.


Scope and content/abstract:

Letter from Thomas Telford of Inverness to Rev John Warren, Dean of Bangor, [Caernarfonshire], 23 Sep 1811. Concerning a possible road to pass through Bangor, and giving instructions for the surveyor. Autograph, with signature. The following items are filed with the letter: (a) an engraving of Thomas Telford (1832); (b) engravings of Menai Bridge, the Vale of Llangollen and Conway, by W Radclyffe (undated); (c) a list of Telford's achievements, set out as if for a memorial plaque [produced after Telford's death in 1834].

Access & Use

Language/scripts of material:

System of arrangement:

See hard copy catalogue.

Conditions governing access:

Access to this collection is unrestricted for the purpose of private study and personal research within the supervised environment and restrictions of the Library's Palaeography Room. Please contact the University Archivist for details. 24 hours notice is required for research visits.

Conditions governing reproduction:

Copies may be made, subject to the condition of the original. Copying must be undertaken by the Palaeography Room staff, who will need a minimum of 24 hours to process requests.

Finding aids:

Typescript catalogue available in the Library's Palaeography Room.

Archival Information

Archival history:

See archivist

Immediate source of acquisition:

Transferred from the general library, 1974.

Allied Materials

Related material:

Publication note:

Description Notes

Archivist's note:
Compiled by Anya Turner.

Rules or conventions:
Compiled in compliance with General International Standard Archival Description, ISAD(G), second edition, 2000; National Council on Archives Rules for the Construction of Personal, Place and Corporate Names, 1997.

Date(s) of descriptions:
Aug 2008

Related Subject Search

* To search for other records with similar subjects, tick any subjects above then click "Run New Search"

Related Personal Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Corporate Name Search

* To search for other records with similar names, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"

Related Placename Search

* To search for other records with similar placenames, tick any names above then click "Run New Search"